Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Blogging from the Other Side of the Country

NH is warm and toasty - a real summer! WA has had an unusually warm summer which is also welcomed, but It's been five years since its felt like a real summer to me. Now I've had summer in Mexico, WA and NH. The heat feels so good!

Sunday we went to the flea market and I found all kinds of fun old things to make jewelry. There were all kinds of old keys, escucheons, and drawer hardware. Now I just need the cool, old colored beads I ordered at least a week before leaving WA. It seems that this bead business is a bunch of hurry up and wait for more supplies. I've been trying to find as much stuff here as I can because island shopping is limited - especially in the antique department.

Monday was spent playing with art clay. I had the best time in a one-on-one class with Carol Babineau, a level 4 master teacher here in NH. She's been working with art clay for the last 7 years. I was able to make 4 pendants and 2 pr of earrings with 20g of clay. It's such an interesting medium. Years ago I worked with fimo - a totally different animal. The texture is so different and the art clay dries out so quickly. You really have to know what you are doing before you open the package - everything has to be ready, or you have to put it away with a drop of water on it and wait for it to rehydrate. It was so hot Monday (100 degrees) and the clay was not behaving. The first bail I made cracked the second I tried to roll it over a straw. Maybe later I'll get the software on Dad's laptop to download some pics. I'm out of my technology element here.

Yesterday Dad and I went out to the shop and made bezels and soldered them to flat copper stock. That was a hoot. I'm certainly not as good at soldering as he is - a fews years more experience! Dad also scrounged up some copper wire for me and I spent the evening making copper wire bird's nests. Today I'm wire wrapping old pearls to make a fun, antiquey looking necklace.

We're off in a little bit to hit an antique shop that carries a bunch of old hardware in Amesbury, MA...

No comments: